Friday, February 29, 2008

Sarachu - Leh Day 8

Day 8 : Sarachu - Gata Loops - Nakeela - Lavhulung La - Pang - Moorey Plains - TangLang-La - Rumtse - Upshi - Leh.

Last night,we slept pretty early around 9:30-9:45. It was very very cool rather cold, I think almost zero , it was freezing, because there was snow just above the camp.

So,going to pee even was a problem as you have to get out of the bed,the warm quilt. Thanks god, we have taken an attached toilet deluxe tent.

I slept and woke up around midnight.Was completely fresh.Later,the whole night,I couldnot sleep because of the less oxygen levels in the air. The night was really bad.

Got up to the sound of bullets passing by the campsite. Some bulleteer group is riding past the campsite.

After getting ready,some breakfast we got ready into ride for Leh today. Some strange chakkar, some ajeeb headache, stomach upset, uneasiness etc had increased today. It is AMS I think, due to less oxygen.

I am not taking Diamox,rather trying to increase the water intake to compensate for the less oxygen.

So we left around 8, the initial few km were bad. Then made an entry into army register at Sarachu check point. This is Himachal and J&K border post. Now we are entering Jammu & Kashmir.

In the meantime,had water numerous times. The AMS I think was getting harder. My body was not listening to my mind, that all this is short lived. Every now and then, I would stop my bike and lie down in the middle of the road.

At Pang,it didn't look like going further is possible. More so when Tang Lang la is still to be crossed. T-La is more than 17500 ft high. Still got ready for it.
Atul has got good enthu and that does make the difference between this small group of three.

Went ahead into Moorey Plains, the unbelievable flat lands at 14000+ ft height. Ajeeb strange feelings enter in mind, heart. I feel very lonely today. Kept on going ahead, and then T-La. Both Atul and Haider are riding far ahead today, I guess may be I have not seen them for last 2-3 hours. Both of them had left as it was very very cold up there. They kept riding for low lying areas.

T-La (17582#), the temp was sub-zero. I clicked a couple of photographs and then literally fell down. Then asked a Safari wala to click 2-3 photos of mine so that I have some memory. But the place was magnificent. Army walas were feeding brave chilled souls with tea, biscuit.

The views were fantastic. And I wanted to have tea. But these guys were gone and I didn't want to be there for long all alone. It is unbelievable, but the height and loneliness creates such strange feelings in ming, that some times I used to be standing some place and crying just like that. Anyways, soon, started getting down. They were halted at Rumtse. We had some snacks there.

After Rumtse, it was a breeze till Upshi and then Leh and the altitude had gone down so has the AMS and we all were feeling better.

Reached Leh around Sun down, may be 7 pm or so. Feeling better now. I had felt like spending more time in Tang Lang La but couldn't.

Total for the day : 259 kms
Night Halt at : Zik Zik Guest House.




Some photographs for the day:

Early morning at Sarachu camps, all were up by 5, and sun light, wow what a warmth it was:










A moderate pass in between, Nakeela @ 15547 ft


The famous "Gata Loops"




Rear view :-)




Standing the heighest point from Manali to Leh @ 17500+ ft













World famous, Moorey plains, a flat land at 14000+ ft height.









Don't be a gama in the land of lama.















Halt at Pang, very high halt :-)







No comments: